Free Music Production Software Programs
Audacity is a free open source software for recording and editing sounds.
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Change the speed or pitch of a recording
- Platform: Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux
Learn More About Audacity
Ardour is a fully-featured digital audio workstation, similar to other software like ProTools, Nuendo, Sonar and Logic, and capable of replacing analog or digital tape systems.
- Audio and MIDI Multi-Track Recording and Editing
- Plugins with Full Sample Accurate Automation
- Transport Sync and External Control Surfaces
- Powerful Anywhere-to-Anywhere Signal Routing
- Video Time line
- Platform: Linux and OS X
Music Editing in Ardour
Learn More About Ardour
LMMS is a free cross-platform software which allows you to produce music with your computer. This covers creating melodies and beats, synthesizing and mixing sounds and arranging samples. You can have fun with your MIDI keyboard and much more.
- Song-Editor for composing songs
- A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
- An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
- An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
- Many powerful instrument and effect plugins out of the box
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and MIDI
- Import of MIDI files, Hydrogen project files and FL Studio ® project files
Video Demo – Sound like Deadmau5 w/ LMMS in Under 10 Minutes
Also check out Learn How To Produce Your Own Music In LMMS
Learn More About LMMS
DarkWave Studio is a real-time sound editor with a tabbed interface that lets you compose your own music with the assistance of your computer.
- VST Plug-in Support – Limitlessly Expandable With Instrument and Effects Plugins.
- Multi Core / Multi CPU Support.
- Full 64-bit Double Precision Floating Point Audio Processing.
- Low Latency ASIO And DirectSound Audio Output Support.
- Platform Support: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Learn More & Download DarkWave Studio
The orDrumbox is a free drum machine software.
- Pattern oriented – You can create songs by assembling various patterns. It’s up to you to determine the number of beats in each pattern (16 or 32 or whatever).
- Automatic composer and arpeggiator
- Automatic sound assignations
- Drum Kits – You can import, create, modify and save drum kits. It’s a “sound library” in one single file.
- Soft Synth – A soft synth with available and can generate sounds unsing an analog synth emulation : two VCO generator, FM modulation, enveloppe ADSR controler, low pass / hi pass filters.
- Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
Learn More About orDrumbox
Temper is a MIDI+Audio sequencer with an emphasis on MIDI. Easily integrate Temper with your other software via basic drag-and-drop behavior, more advanced sync functionality, or seamlessly as a VST.
- Sophisticated event routing and manipulation
- Powerful MIDI editing environment
- Interactive algorithmic composition tools
- Perform time
- Multiple takes per track
- Simultaneous multi-track editing
- Tool chaining
- Unified MIDI controllers+VST automation
- Multicore audio engine
Learn More About Temper
Hydrogen is an advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux. It’s main goal is to bring professional yet simple and intuitive pattern-based drum programming.
- Sample-based stereo audio engine, with import of sound samples in .Wav, .au and .aiff formats.
- Pattern-based sequencer, with unlimited number of patterns and ability to chain patterns into a song.
- Up to 192 ticks per pattern with individual level per event and variable pattern length.
- Unlimited instrument tracks with volume, mute, solo, pan capabilities.
- Multi layer support for instruments (up to 16 samples for each instrument).
- Sample Editor, with basic cut and loop functions.
- Platform: Linux
Drum Sequencer Demo
Learn More About Hydrogen
Rosegarden is a music composition and editing environment based around a MIDI sequencer that features a rich understanding of music notation and includes basic support for digital audio.
- Editing – Intuitive ways to record and edit notes.
- MIDI – Managing your MIDI ports, banks, programs and controllers without having to remember any numbers.
- Notation – Entering, editing and printing score.
- Audio – Recording, mixing, and using samples and effects.
- Synths – Playing your MIDI tracks through hosted synths, for more accurate control.
Learn More About Rosegarden
Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis), MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- Platform: Linux
Learn More About Qtractor
MusE is a MIDI/Audio sequencer with recording and editing. MusE aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux.
- Realtime Record/Playback several mono/stereo inputs/outputs.
- Graphical editing of automation
- Several types of audio tracks: Audio inputs, Audio outputs, Wave tracks, Group tracks, Aux outputs
- Standardized plugin formats: LADSPA, DSSI, VST
- Drag and drop import and arranging of: Plugins and plugin presets, Parts, Midi files, Audio files, Aux outputs
- Platform: Linux
Learn More About MusE
The LinuxSampler is a open source audio sampler with high stability, efficiency and very low latency, providing professional grade features, comparable to both hardware and commercial Windows/Mac software samplers.
Platform: Windows / Mac
Learn More About Linux Sampler
Download Linux Sampler
Spek – Acoustic Spectrum Analyser
Spek helps to analyse your audio files by showing their spectrogram.
- Supports all popular lossy and lossless audio file formats thanks to the FFmpeg libraries.
- Ultra-fast signal processing, uses multiple threads to further speed up the analysis.
- Shows the codec name and the audio signal parameters.
- Allows to save the spectrogram as an image file.
- Drag-and-drop support; associates with common audio file formats.
- Auto-fitting time, frequency and spectral density rulers.
- Adjustable spectral density range.
- Translated into 19 languages.
- Platform: Unix, Windows and Mac OS X.
Learn More & Download Spek
MuLab ( Offers limited free version )
MuLab 6.0 features an enhanced look and feel and a rich collection of new and improved features throughout the app that all together seriously increase the creativity, comfort and productivity of MuLab.
- Create, record, edit and play multi-track audio & music.
- Flexible tracks and sub-tracks support audio, MIDI and automation parts.
- Easy modular architecture.
- Top-quality uncompromised sound engine.
- Super-fat oscillators with 300 selected waveforms + support for user waveforms.
- Multi-core CPU support.
- Automatic mono/stereo handling.
- Advanced integration between composer and sound engine.
- Automation parts let you easily automate any parameter in the modular tree structure, even the deepest nested ones.
- Platform: Mac, Windows
MuLab 6 Intro
Learn More About MuLab
GarageBand is the easiest way to create a great-sounding song on your Mac. Add realistic, impeccably produced and performed drum grooves to your song with Drummer.
- Add a virtual session drummer to your song that takes direction and plays realistic beats
- Create a song with up to 255 tracks
- Quickly change the timing of an audio recording using Flex Time
- Use your iPad and Multi-Touch gestures to wirelessly play any GarageBand instrument on your Mac
- Choose your best performance with multi-take recording
- Platform: Free with Mac OS
Software Example – New Trap Beat on Garageband
Learn More About Garageband
Suggested Music Equipment
Here are the most popular and top rated music production products online.
MIDI Drum Controllers
USB Audio Interfaces
I hope you guys find this software to be helpful.